Thursday, March 25, 2010

10 Strange Idols, Totems, Stone-gods, etc. - Road Tickle

There are as many gods as there are cultures. Some are tame and almost boring. Some, well, some are just bizarre. However, please know that I mean no disrespect. Sacred is sacred, even when it’s weird (except for Moloch – I’m not calling him sacred no matter what you do to me). I recognize that I am responding to this spiritual diversity from my own puny worldview. Thanks for indulging me.

1. Moloch (Middle East)


Image Source

The Moloch idol was a large, hollow brass statue with the head of a bull and a bulging human-like belly. The belly served as a firebox into which children were thrown. Pagan priests used to crash cymbals together to drown out the screams of the children as they burned alive. Well, I don’t know about you but I’m going to have nightmares.

Full story by Robin Merrill / roadtickle.com :

10 Strange Idols, Totems, Stone-gods, etc. - Road Tickle

No comments:

Post a Comment